Integrations Test Runs
Smart provides the functionality to launch integrations on your Workday tenant using the data templates to provide launch parameters. These can be run on an ad-hoc basis or sequenced with BP runs to assist in controlling data output via an Integration. With the ability to launch these integrations directly through the UI, it opens up opportunities to incorporate your integration testing into your weekly regression test runs.
Integration Test Runs
Integration tests can be accessed via the CREATE A TEST > Integrations > Integration Test menu option, or alternatively can be selected by switching to the Integrations tab from within the general CREATE A TEST> Business Processes section of Smart. Smart supports the launching of all integrations that can be kicked off from within a Workday tenant. Regardless of the type of integration, the same template is used.
The Integrations templates must be populated manually with data from the Workday tenant. This data will consist of the various launch parameters that are required to start your integration.
The overall process of downloading/populating/uploading the template is the same as creating a regular Business Process Test Run. Select the highlighted + button and download the blank template. Depending on the type of Integration you wish to run, there are considerations that need to be taken when populating the template.
Standard Integration Launch
When creating an Integration template there are some key fields that need to be populated to ensure the Integrations will launch successfully. The initial fields must be populated according to the image below, with Organization being an optional field. The Run Frequency will remain as 'Run Now' as the execution of the Integration is controlled by Smart.
If electing to set Run as Proxy to 'N', Smart will change the password for the initiating user before logging in to run the Integration. Please bare this in mind when populating the template.
When populating the remaining fields in the template (if required) the approach is simple. The key fields to consider are as follows:
- Provider (Required) - The provider identifies under which category a field lies within the Integration launch parameters.
- Field Name (Required) - The field name must match the exact name in the launch parameter screen.
- Value Type (Optional) - Integration launch parameters have Specify Value by default. This value can be set as Specify Value, Determine Value at Runtime or System Default. If selecting Determine Value at Runtime, please ensure to provide the relevant value with which the Integration should be launched.
- Value (Required) - The specific value(s) with which the Integration should be launched.
Each Integration Launch Parameter is mapped to a Launch Parameter section in the data template consisting of these 4 fields.
For example, the following Integration needs to be launched via Smart with the parameters shown:
The template will need to be populated as follows:
If multiple values are required to be entered for one field, add in new rows for Value and populate them as required:
Launching With Attachments
When an Integration attachment is required, there are two scenarios that Smart can handle:
Launching with new Integration Attachment
To launch an Integration with a new attachment, the template will need to be populated as follows:
When launching Integrations with new attachments, the file specified in the highlighted field will need to be uploaded into the Integration Test Run directly through Smart. To do this, please select the upload files button beside the uploaded template, then select Add attachments, then select the file you wish to add to the Integration:
Launching with existing Integration Attachment
To launch an Integration with an existing attachment, the template will need to be populated as follows:
Similar to how other fields are populated, when launching with an attachment that exists on the Workday tenant, please populate the Value Type field with 'Specify Value', and specify the exact name of the required attachment.
The Smart Integrations templates supports a number of features that provided enhanced functionality to support the launching of Integrations:
- Integration IDs - Smart supports the entering of Workday Integration/Reference IDs into any field to reference objects. For more information on this please see Using Integration IDs in templates.
- Relative Dates - Smart supports the entering of relative values to enter dates in Workday. For more information on this please see Relative Dates and Times.