Payroll - Parallel Testing
Parallel Testing is performed during the implementation of the Workday Payroll Module, and should be performed on a Parallel Tenant. The purpose of a Parallel test is to compare Workday payroll data with the Legacy payroll system ensuring the results are the same.
The aim of the Parallel Test is to ensure the (real) workers pay results are the same (or have an acceptable variance) between the Legacy Payroll and Workday Payroll.
Smart Payroll allows you to run a Parallel test for all workers in a Pay Group or a subset of workers, e.g. a ‘Mini Parallel’ test event is also possible, where you do not need to ensure that ALL workers and ALL pay components are set up. The "mini parallel" test is extremely useful ensuring the Run Pay Calculation is executing successfully and the mapping file set up is correct. This type of test can occur on any tenant and is most beneficial running as soon as the Legacy results are available, i.e. during End to End Testing.
Create a Parallel Test
- To create a Parallel Test Run, click on CREATE A TEST followed by Payroll.
2. The following fields are must be populated:
- Test Run Name: Give the test run a name. It’s a free text field and is mandatory.
- Tags : The TR can be tagged with a free text tag. Tags help you search for your TR faster. This is an optional field
- Choose test type : Since we are performing Parallal Tests, choose ‘Parallel Testing’ as the test type.
- Once you have chosen Parallel Testing, you would be asked to upload the legacy pay data. This is an excel template, see below for more information
- User Login : Select user login as a worker who has access to execute the Run Pay Calculation task in Workday. This is a mandatory field
- Override First Processing Period: This is the period the Run Pay Calculation task will run on for the Pay Group specified.The period will need to be configured in ‘Payroll configuration’ under the Admin menu. This is a mandatory field
- Run Category ID: This is the Run Category ID (not the Run Category Name) for which the Payroll has to be run. This is a mandatory field
- Select Pay Group: Choose "Existing Pay Group" and provide the WID for the Pay Group to be tested in the Parallel Test. This is a mandatory field
- Click Save
Legacy Result File
Since the Parallel Test compares the payroll data between Workday and the Legacy system, the pay results and mappings from the legacy system must be uploaded in Smart.
- The Excel template has 2 tabs
Legacy Results: There are 3 columns in this tab:
- Employee ID : This is the employee id in Workday.
- Pay Component Code: This is the Pay Component Code in the Legacy system.
- Result line Amount : This is the result line amount for the employee for the Pay component code.
- Legacy Results: There are 3 columns in this tab:
Below in as example of a Legacy Results file.
The Legacy Results must start on Row 3
Legacy to Workday Mapping
Once the pay results from legacy system are prepared, the Workday to Legacy Pay Component mappings are required on the second tab.
Smart Payroll supports the following mappings:
- 1 Legacy Code to 1 Workday Code
- 1 Legacy Code to Many Workday Codes
- Many Legacy Codes to 1 Workday Code
There are 3 columns in this tab:
- Legacy Component code: This is the component code from the legacy system.
- Workday Component Code: This is the component code as configured in WD.
Type of Deduction: This is to indicate the type of deduction in Workday. This field should only be populated for Employer Deductions, Pay Components and Memo fields that do not add to Gross.
- Enter "Employer Deduction" if the Pay Component is an Employer Deduction
- Enter "Non Gross Payment" if the Pay Component does not add to Gross
- Enter "Ignore in Comparison" if the Pay Component is a MEMO field that does not exist in the legacy data and is therefore not to be included in the Comparison.
Below is an example of the Mappings tab.