Payroll - Comparison Testing During Workday Update Window
The Payroll module in Smart provides the ability to perform comparison testing on two Workday Tenants within the same test run.
Testing your Payroll configuration and results is critical during the major Workday Updates. It is imperative that the Payroll results are the same on both Sandbox and Sandbox Preview. Smart can automatically compare the Payroll results on both tenants, ensuring the Payroll configuration is continuing to work as expected.
On the first day of the Workday Update window, Sandbox and Sandbox Preview are refreshed so that they are 100% in sync. The only difference is the Workday version. This is the ideal time to ensure your Payroll is calculating correctly on the new version of Workday. Smart can be utilised to execute the Run Pay Calculation task on both tenants in parallel. Once the Run Pay Calculation task is complete, the results are compared and displayed within Smart.
The following must be checked prior to creating a Payroll comparison test:
- The Current Period In Progress/Next Period to Process is the same on both tenants
Creating the Comparison Test
The Payroll comparison test can be created by selecting "Payroll" from the "CREATE A TEST" menu option. A test must be created for each Pay Group on the tenant.
The following fields must be populated:
- Test Run name - this is a unique name for the test
- Tags (optional field) - this can be used to tag or group tests together
- Parallel Period testing must be selected for Test Type
- "Compare between two tenants" must be checked
- User login - this is the user who has permission to execute the Run Pay Calculation task
- Override first processing period - select "Current period" for Smart to automatically determine the current period
- Run Category ID - this is the Run Category ID to be executed, e.g. REGULAR
- Pay Group WID - this is the Workday ID of the Pay Group to be tested
- Workers - this is a list of Employee IDs to be included in the test. Leave this blank to test ALL workers in the Pay Group
When executing the test run, Smart requires you to select two tenants for the test to be executed on. Smart will execute the Run Pay Calculation on both tenants in parallel.
Smart will display the Execution details of the test run, including both tenants the test run was executed on.
Smart will also display all workers in the Pay Group (or the workers selected during test creation) with the Net Pay on each tenant.
If any workers have a Negative NET Pay, Smart will automatically mark the worker(s) as Could Not Test. If any variance is found between tenants, Smart will automatically mark the worker(s) as Failed.
Smart will order the workers by their result, in the following order:
- Could Not Test
Clicking the Employee ID, will allow you to view the worker details/variances in more detail. This view contains the side by side comparison of Gross, Net and each individual Pay Component. Allowing to easily identify what differences were found.
The Payroll comparison test also provides the ability to download the CSV results for offline investigation/audit record keeping. There are two CSV reports available
- Export All Results
- Export Failed Results
The Export All Results CSV report contains all worker results. This is a Pay Component view, detailing each Pay Component every worker gets and whether there is a variance found for the specific Pay Component.
The Export Failed Results CSV report contains all failed worker(s). This report only returns the results for workers with a status of "Failed". It contains all Pay Components each worker gets and whether there is a variance found for the specific Pay Component.
Below are a list of recommendations prior to running the comparison test during the Workday Update Window:
- To ensure a true comparison, we recommend locking out the tenants before and during test execution
- Review the Payroll timetable and the state of each Payroll during the time of the cut-over
- Ensure the Key Integrations that impact payroll have been loaded (to increase pay component test coverage)
- If using Time Tracking within Workday, consider mass approving time entry so these transactions are included in the Payroll comparison
- If running the comparison test in subsequent weeks of the Update Window, for example in Week 5 of the Update Window, ensure both Sandbox and Sandbox Preview are refreshed
- We recommend Sandbox is refreshed from Sandbox Preview to ensure a true comparison and to avoid time delays which could cause valid differences